As our culture becomes more digitally dependent and stressed, we cope with the stress by using anti-depressants. There might be a better way to deal with this stress… mindfulness. Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, emotions, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment with openness and curiosity.
Basic Mindfulness Exercise
- Sit with your feet flat on the floor, back straight, and away from the back of the chair.
- Notice your breath. Don’t change your breathing but focus on the sensation of the air moving in and out of your nostrils.
- As thoughts come into your mind, notice them but don’t focus on them and return to focusing on your breath.
- Don’t judge yourself or try to ignore distractions. Acknowledge what comes into your mind and return to focus on your breath.
- Begin with doing this 5-10 minutes a day. Set a timer so you are not constantly looking at the clock.